As October is just around the corner, my FB inbox is getting filled up again with messages from women friends asking me to update my status which of course keeps a lot of men friends guessing what’s with the intriguing status. Who wouldn’t be with such a status as this?
Breast Cancer Awareness Month and Things We Can Do In Support via HubPages
A list of funny things that Moms say!
- A little birdy told me
- Always wear clean underwear in case you are in an accident
- Am I talking to a brick wall?
- You’re the eldest, you should know better!
- Just wait until your father gets home.
- You will always be my little baby.
- Are you trying to poke your eye out with that stick?
- You’d forget your head if it wasn't stuck on your shoulders.
- You had best take that look off your face before I take it off for you.
- You could grow potatoes in those ears.
- Just who do you think you are talking to?
- When you have kids of your own, you’ll understand
- Do you think money grows on trees?
- Were you born in a stable? Close that door.
- Some day you will thank me for this.
- I've had it up to here with you.
- I’m going to give you to the count of 3.
- I don’t care who started it – you are going to STOP it!
- I can’t believe you did that!
- Don’t put that in your mouth, you don’t know where its been.
- Did you flush?
- Not under my roof you wont!
- Stop picking.
- Because I said so, that’s why!
- I will always love you, no matter what.
- You cant find it? Where did you leave it?
- This is going to hurt me more than it will hurt you.
- If the wind changes your face will stay like that.
- Eat your carrots, they will make you see in the dark
- If you don’t stop crying, I will give you something to cry about.
- Beds are NOT for jumping on.
- If you swallow gum it will stick your guts together
- The car can’t start until the seat belts are buckled
- If all your friends jumped off a bridge, would you?
I saw this on my notes and remembered they were part of the post I did on parent's teachings. As a mother I can understand why some Moms do say these things but still most of these are things I heard when I was young and still don't understand why it has been said or where it came from and what it really meant. Take for example the phrase "Because I said so, that’s why!", everybody has heard this one time or another from his/her mom, it's almost like an edict, don't ask for any explanation, it just is!
Although we all try to limit saying these things BUT then there are times one is forced to because the situation calls for it. Then again it comes to a point when they learn to question where these phrases are coming from. My son is now 13 years old and there are times I repeat myself...he teases me about it and I keep explaining that if he had only done what I have asked him to do as soon as he was told then there wouldn't be a need to repeat (over and over and over again - redundancy but he said that is what I do). The good thing though is that our relationship is close enough that he is able to tease me about it...according to him I revert to these momisms when I no longer know what to say sometimes because I have actually moved on to another "fault" but just had to have the last word.