Skip to main content

Happy Birthday JSM!

On the first day of December, fourteen years ago, I got an early Christmas gift. Up until now, and most likely until the end of time, it remains to be the best gift I ever got. Can literally say he was a big, bouncing baby boy but boy was he also expensive. He is what my beloved ob-gyne calls my miracle baby since a year before that I had a miscarriage and an operation to remove my left ovary was done. Only a small portion of my right ovary was free from ovarian cyst but my doc painstakingly removed the worse off it which took her almost four hours to do. As of my last check up before I reported back to my office back in 1997 I wasn’t fertile enough to get pregnant. But the good Lord had other plans for me and gave me this blessing.

The past 14 years is something I cherish, it wasn't always smooth sailing and there are some things I regret but, the one thing that I can say I truly don’t regret 100% is having my son. So anything related to that fact may be a little painful but if it hadn't happened then I wouldn't have my son. Not bitter, just saying….

Poems have been a way for me to show you how much you mean to me, I remember I sent you a Valentine's card when you were younger and I asked your teacher to give it to you. Gone are those days...I don't think you would appreciate it if I do that today. But if there is one thing I really am grateful is the fact that you have remained truly grounded, a thoughtful and ever-loving son.

Last year I shared with you My Wish by Rascall Flatts, today I give you a lovely poem by Susan Polis Schutz:

MY SON I HOPE THAT ALL YOUR DREAMS COME TRUE AND I LOVE YOU
My Son, Live Life to the Fullest
Pin It


Dreams can come true if you take the time to
think about what you want in life ....
Get to know yourself.
Find out who you are.
Choose your goals carefully.
Be honest with yourself.
But don't think about yourself so much
that you analyze every word and action.
Find many interests and pursue them.
Find out what you are good at,
and don't be afraid to make mistakes.
Work hard to achieve success.
When things are not going right
don't give up -- just try harder.
Find courage inside of you to remain strong
Give yourself freedom to try out new things
Don't be so set in your ways that you can't grow
Always act in an ethical way
Laugh and have a good time
Form relationships with people you respect
Treat others as you want them to treat you
Be honest with people
Accept the truth
Speak the truth
Open yourself to love
Don't be afraid to love
Remain close to your family
Take part in the beauty of nature
Be appreciative of all that you have
Help those less fortunate than you
Try to make others lives happy
Work towards peace in the world
Live life to the fullest
My son dreams can come true
and I hope that all your dreams become a reality
I love you.


Popular posts from this blog

25 Manners You Should Teach Your Kids

While reading some parenting articles, I read this one article about manners that I knew I had to blog about it. Kids are easy enough to teach manners, it's actually following it up that sucks. Because when they see somebody else doing something really gross but funny they tend to do the same thing...that is when it's crucial to say it is wrong. If they get away with it even just once then they will do it again. Pin It Parents tend to let them get away with it, especially when they do it in public and some people find it hilarious. Make no mistake about it, there are people who find it really funny when a kid burps so loud, well, this still falls under manners right? Seriously though, at my age, I still tell my dad where am going and how late I will be home and I expect my son to do the same thing...for me that is simple courtesy. And up until now, I remind my son to say thank you (he does say thank you normally but sometimes when busy he seems to forget). Not reminding h

Remembering 9/11: The Legacy of Marie Rose Abad

The Americans in the US were not the only ones paying tribute to their loved ones who perished in the different events that made up what we call the tragedy that changed the world, Sept 11. Maybe unbeknownst to many Filipinos, there was one American married to a Filipino who died that day. And her legacy lives on in a once squalid and reeking with garbage slum in Manila turned into an orderly village that bears her name with 50 brightly one-storey colored homes built in her memory by her husband. As the world pays tribute to their fellowmen in the US, residents of Marie Rose Abad GK Village offered roses, balloons, and prayers for their benefactor. According to her Philippine-born American husband Rudy, he had it built in her memory in 2004 as a tribute to their 26 years of marriage and her unfulfilled desire to help the poor in the Philippines. This she saw when they first came here in 1989. After having described to her the Philippines as a paradise, they were appalled to see t

Things A Son Should Know Before He Turns 18 and Leaves Your Side

Family and friends know how much I love making lists. From list of things to do to list of things to live by and lists of what to buy today or in the near future. I write articles with all kinds of lists that have included the list of the most beautiful liberal art colleges to smart and beautiful politicians and even the most worthy WAGS. So when I read an article with a list of what one mom believed she must give/teach her son, I loved it. Though I do not remember if it was a blog post or an article but it certainly stayed in my mind and I vowed that one day I would make one for my son. As my son grows older there is a certain satisfaction in me because we have come this far but there is also a degree of fear that my kind of rearing may have done a damage or two. Looking at my son and how he interacts with society, I think I can give myself a pat because he turned out right. Still, I can’t help but worry that in the future he might make a mistake. Am not saying he is not entit